Monday 22 January 2018

Just a Taste Episode 13


NADIA continues: Listen people, you know that moment when you feel you?ve got something covered and then it shoots up from another different angle entirely.
At first I thought Daniel was speaking in tongues. But he was damn serious.
?How did you know.? Myself and Joyce arrived this Academy in the same Public bus. It?s impossible?
He frowned a little. It seemed like he wasn’t sure himself.
?Brenda told me?
I laughed, what on earth would make Brenda of all people, a supervisor stoop low to not just talk, but expose secrets to Daniel
?Brenda? Like you mean our supervisor??
He nodded his head. I gave him that look that explained I didn?t believe a word he said.
?Why would Brenda tell you that??
?Cos I told her a very important detail about myself?
Ok I was done. Enough of this
?Daniel, I?ve got to go?
?Nadia, be careful?
He warned and I could feel his eyes on me till I was out of sight.
Although I had planned to ignore his words. But it kept ringing in my head like an alarm clock.
DANIEL: I wasn?t sure Nadia would believe me. But at least I told her already. And when I mentioned I had told Brenda an important detail about myself. I meant it because, now Brenda knows I am the heir to *Kayode?s kitchen* so trust me. That word alone is worth more than any competition they might be fighting for here.
Joyce, remains a question mark. Brenda is not left out either.
NADIA: I didn?t want to suspect Joyce, but I began to read meaning to her recent questions
?Where are you going to??
She startled me that night when I was about to sneak out to the mysterious old woman.
?Nowhere?
I quickly lay back on my bed.
?For your information. I know where you are heading too. And I know you?ve been going there for a while now?
My heart missed. I was now thinking Daniel was actually right. I wanted to ask but the words got choked. I simply turned to face the wall.
?You don?t know what you?re talking about Joyce. Go to sleep?
Next morning. It was time to learn the Nigerian dish *Funkaso* Joyce was up already. Now she wasn?t acting like the talkative I knew. It was like she knew Daniel told me something already. We headed to the Hall in silence. And from metres away we could hear Brenda going on with the lessons already.
Funkaso is a traditional Nigerian dish made out of millet that can either be served as a sweet breakfast or as a savory side. Though they look like pancakes, the millet flour in funkaso makes it a gluten-free, vegan, and overall healthier option. Millet flour can be purchased at a health food store or you can buy plain millet and grind it to a powder in a food processor. If you are planning to serve funkaso for breakfast, get the batter ready the night before, as it needs to rest for at least 4 hours. In the morning you can just heat the griddle and get flipping!
Makes 5 Millet Pancakes
*Ingredients:*.?
1 cup millet flour*.? cup and 2 tbsp of lukewarm water (adjust as necessary)*.? Salt or sugar to taste*.? Margarine or oil Method:1.Sift the millet flour into a mixing bowl and slowly pout in the water, mixing constantly. The mixture should be runny but smooth, similar to pancake batter. If deciding to make the sweet version, add some sugar, preferably brown, otherwise salt the batter.
2.Cover the bowl with cling wrap and set aside for 4 hours or overnight
3.Heat your griddle or your heavy frying pan and melt your margarine. If
you are making the savoury version, you may replace the margarine with oil. During this time, whisk the batter.
4.When the griddle and the margarine are hot, ladle the batter onto it, creating round pancakes. Flip when the bottom looks crispy. When both sides are ready, remove the funkaso from the griddle.
5.Serve warm with honey, Chika?s Hand Toasted Peanuts or Smoked Almonds, and yogurt. Alternately, serve it as a savoury side to a meat dish or with dips or chutneys.
DANIEL: my plans to get Nadia was trailing off. I wasn?t making headways.  There was no way to meet up at night. And during the day, all those are new recruited crew follow  her around like hawks
. Ok, before the ladies reading this thinks am a total jerk, or decides to twist my neck. listen, I was just after her body but after the competition. I had generated a likeness for her. Pure one oh. I wanted to give it a try and have her close. Who knows. There is life after this academy. And wait for it readers. Life after this academy, is where the real story begins.
NADIA: That night, although I knew Joyce pretended to be fast asleep. I went out still, to the mysterious old woman.
?How are you my child??
She smiled at me and handed over a recipe
?What?s this??
?All the foods that you would encounter in this academy from grade 1 to 6?
My eyes went wide. I opened and took a glimpse. This was all I need. Joyce suddenly popped up in my mind
?Madam, does the name Joyce ring a bell??
She paused for a while. Her reaction indeed explained that Joyce was a close one.
?Nadia, what?s the name of this academy??
I wondered what the name of the academy had to do with my question.
?Serena foodies?
I replied, smiling at the fact that it was my name sake.
She tied her apron and handed me mine
?My name is Serena Temilade. And Joyce, is my daughter?

Just A Taste Continues

No comments:

Vacancy