Sunday 21 January 2018

Just A Taste Episode 11








DANIEL: Listen, my situation in this Academy was getting complicated now. What was really happening? First, how do I get out of these girls room without someone spotting me. It was almost 4am. And I could hear the girls chatter down the hall. Second, this Joyce is claiming Brenda is some kind of terminator. Third, am yet to confirm my real father’s death. Fourth, my uncle plans to my life is still a question mark. So tell me. Is this normal? Like put yourself in my shoes. I couldn’t think well. Nadia was busy conducting an interview that didn’t really solve any of my problems. The alarm was how to do I get to my Hall.
NADIA: “Trust no one. Not even your supervisor”
The mysterious old woman’s words reverberated in my head again.
“What happened Joyce?”
“She confronted me. Because we were chosen to represent the inter group competition.”
It didn’t make sense to me
“I don’t understand, but she picked us herself”
Daniel quickly butt in.
“Please ladies, don’t you think I need help here? Come on, you girls can talk about your whole fantasy later”
I ignored him.
“Unless she didn’t pick us on her own accord. Unless someone ordered her too”
Joyce suggested and picked herself up to pace.
“Then why would she attack you. Why not the person who ordered her. Joyce, we can’t cook remember? We are the ones learning”
Daniel had his eyes shut and raised to heaven
“Ahhhhh..women! I am here. Remember?”
He had to remind us I guess. I understood now that he was in big trouble.
“Take these. Wear them”
I handed him my clothes.
“Oh you must be kidding”
He laughed it off. But I knew he understood that there was no other option.
I made an attempt to withdrew my clothes
“Ok ok ok..lemme have them!”
We couldn’t help but giggle as we watched him fit into my bra.
And then as he added clothes to his ass and chest to really look the lady he feigned.
I had to take pictures for further blackmail. Just in case he decides to misbehave.
And then he was safely out.
“Change up, let’s go”
I drew Joyce out despite her reluctancy to go.
I wanted to get to the root of all these. Little did I know this was way bigger than my own imaginations.
“We have both banga stew and banga soup. Both are prepared the same way. But different ingredients.”
Brenda pursed when she noticed myself and Joyce.
She averted her eyes and went on with her normal lessons. I tried my possible best to try and interrogate her with my eyes. But still, she didn’t fall for it. She was free, no sign of fear or guilt. What was this all about?
Or she didn’t attack Joyce?
Why would Joyce lie about that? It didn’t make sense. She had to be the one
“Nadia, please. Enlighten us on how to prepare Banga stew.”
I was startled.
“What me?”
The eyes on me made me realize I was asking a very, very stupid question.
Prepare what? I didn’t even notice the Banga stew was ready.
“Emm..”
I didn’t want to fool myself again so I just had to stick with the truth.
“I don’t know how to.”
They all burst out laughing.
“And you are to represent us in the inter group competition. What a shame. I can tell you would disgrace us”
Her words sank into my head. But before I picked offense. I brainstormed to understand that she was trying to paint me an infidel before the whole school. That’s why she picked me to lead the team. So I would never be nominated for the real competition. She wants me to fail even before I start.
And guess what? The competition was tomorrow.
I brought my gang together and filled them in with the latest.
“We’ve got to work together and figure this out”
“But how?”
Jessy had to ask. Good question.
“None of can cook any of those dishes. There is no point deceiving ourselves”
Good point. But I was out to prove them wrong.
“I will, by tomorrow. Just follow my lead tomorrow”
I could see the doubt in their eyes. But from the fact that the leader had spoken, they just swallowed hard and nodded to my suggestion. I could tell they were already planning the best way to conserve the disgrace tomorrow.
That night, I went straight to mysterious old woman and explained my plight.
She smiled.
“It’s simple. What’s your best song?”
“Rara by tekno”.
I hurriedly replied. I was in a haste so her question didn’t really make sense at that moment.
” Good play it”
She handed me an earphone.
“Dance”
I obeyed. I loved the song, so it didn’t take me minutes to start swaying my waist to its rhythm.
“Pick that pot. Hum the ingredients with the song you are listening too”
I was dancing and cooking as she instructed. Slowly I began to understand, i was enjoying myself.
“Roll out your dough”
She threw a dough at me. I was quick to catch. So she filled her hands with flour and bathe me with it.
“I laughed and retaliatedhttps://static.xx.fbcdn.net/images/emoji.php/v9/f4f/1/16/1f601.png😁. As we waited for the Hawawshi to bake.
Next the Banga stew.
” think of your best food”
I was quick to suggest
“Toasted bread and egg. Oh I can kill for thosehttps://static.xx.fbcdn.net/images/emoji.php/v9/f4/1/16/1f60f.png😏
“Sssshhh.. Right now, your best food is Banga stew. And you wouldnt want to ruin your best food. Create that picture in your mind. See this Banga soup as you bread and egg”
I did. And went to work. Whistling and humming to the bass the earphone was emanating. Tapping my hands and squeezing the juice off the nuts at the same time.
In an hour. My dish was ready.
“Taste it”
My eyes went wide when the taste sent my tongue drenched in salivation.
“Did I cook this?”
She laughed
“A cook, prepare her meals with her mind. Not her hands”
I hugged her and lifted her up with the last strength I had.
“What are the ingredients?”
Before I answered. She suggested
“Hum your song”
As I did the ingredients re- appeared fresh to my brain.
“So are you ready. Nadia Serena”
Without hesitation I answered with that taunting confidence.
“I am so ready!”
Just a taste continues

No comments:

Vacancy