Tuesday 9 January 2018

JUST A TASTE Episode 9



NADIA continues: Listen, there are two ways to learn, either the easy way. Or the hard way.
My guess was mine would be hard. Not just hard but extremely hard.
I had burned in flames and angrily started towards the door. Expecting her to call me back.
But, she didn’t say a word. As I approached the door I deliberately lingered a bit. Still, no 
“Nadia please come back”
My mind had to remind me to use the little sense of reasoning I had. So I gently turned back and collected the plate from her.
“Make sure you wash all the dishes”
I closed my eyes and bit my lips. Trying so hard to compress the anger I felt, in one magazine I read…it was explained that taking a deep breathe helps relieve stress. What I felt was raw anger but who knows, maybe it can work for me. So I took a deep breathe and sighed repeatedly to calm my nerves.

DANIEL: The text I received turn my whole world upside down. I read over and over again. I wanted Akin to confirm the text, although I felt I was giving him the opportunity to pry into my personal life way too early. But I needed someone to confirm that I was still normal. Or that I could stil see well.
“Dan, your Father is alive. I mean your real Father”
Akin read aloud
“Is that what the text says?”
I asked. Like I never understood after reading it for more than 67times in just 30minutes.
“Emm, that’s what I read bro. What does this mean? You lost your Father years back?”
I nodded in affirmation.
“Who sent this?”
It took me time to finally answer
“My uncle?”
Akin was quiet for a while. I was thinking he didn’t want to pry into my personal life without my consent. I signaled him to go ahead.
“Do you trust this your Uncle?”
He asked. Good question
“Cos why will he tell you this now, if there isn’t something he wants to gain from it?”

“Something like what?”
I was quick to ask
“Like trying to make you have issues with your mom. I mean you would definitely hate your mom for a while for keeping this from you”
He made sense. But I wasn’t satisfied. My uncle had texted me a place to meet him up. So I stole out of the academy to see for myself.
Only to discover he had planned my death. I ran with my two legs flying in the air. It was like my legs transformed to a super Jet. First I had suspected the secluded area he picked. And then I noticed some suspicious men hanging around. I didn’t just bother to go further. Or find out if he was really after my life. I took off, even before he saw me.

NADIA: My expectations concerning my planned private lessons was so high that I felt I would go crazy just by thinking about it. Or maybe my head would burst for excited thoughts of what my first food lesson would be. Maybe fried rice, or Jollof rice. You know those sweet, top, classics foods. Only for the woman to slash and destroy my expectations, right from the source, when she requested
“Just prepare pap”
My eyes went dim. The sudden look of disappointment was written all over me.
In case you don’t know what pap means.
Edo people call it “Akamu”
It is also called “Ogi”

Like seriously? Pap? What does this woman take me for?
“What are you doing?”
Her eyes went wide. She was watching me trying to boil the raw pap.
“Making pap nah”
She shook her head. I was thinking she just realized that she had alot of work to do.
“Nadia, do you love cooking?”
It was an honest question. But I wondered why she asked now that am trying to prepare the pap that would land her in an hospital bed.
“Yes”
I lied. And she caught me
“Tell me the truth”
She pushed on. I saw no reason to lie so I just opened up
“No ma. Cooking sucks”
She laughed at first. And I was like ‘why is this one laughing?’

“Then why are you here. Why do you want to learn?”
What is really wrong with this woman? I have given her the solid reason before.
“To prove to Wilson that I can cook”
She walked up to me and collected the bowl I held with the raw pap in it.
“And tell me what you’ve learnt so far?”
I tried to crack my brain. But even the Egyptian hawawshi. I couldn’t even remember the ingredients.
“Listen, Brenda picked you and your crew”
I made her stop when I held up my hand
“Wait, how did you know that? Who are you?”
I had to ask. Confusion was written all over my face.
“That’s not the point, you must know that there are a lot of people in your group  who will kill to be in where you girls are now”
I attempted to protest a little further but she butt in
“And you will all fail, because you don’t enjoy what you do. In this world you’ve found yourself. This Academy in particularly. Trust no one. No one is after your good. Even your supervisor can’t be trusted. Your roommate can’t be trusted. I can’t be trusted. You can’t be trusted”
It was like she was speaking riddles. I wasn’t getting her point. Was this an Academy or a war front?
“You talk like am in a war front”
She nodded
“Yes you are. There is a competition that is held every 5years with the prize of 5million dollars. And a sponsor to open your own food plaza. Even your supervisor is aspiring to win cos it begins this year. So what makes you think she would teach you guys all she knows. What makes you think your seniors wouldn’t try to eliminate you if they discover your potentials?”
She was getting me confused
“Ma I don’t understand your point”

“My point is simple!
1- Enjoy cooking, see it as your life
2. Keep your progress and skills a secret from everyone.
3- Trust nobody”
I headed back to my room that evening, thinking of all she had said. But who is she? She just stated that she herself can’t be trusted. What is really going on in this Academy? Or should I just abandon everything and escape now that it’s still safe?
I got to understand what she meant when I got back to my room, to find Joyce unconscious. Bleeding profusely.
Ok enough jokes. This is getting serious

Just A Taste
Continues



No comments:

Vacancy